Bechamel sauce is one of the quickest and tastiest sauces you can make. It’s much faster and more reliable than the classic white sauce and you can use it anywhere you would use a white sauce. Serve it with Pasta or potatoes, or use it to make Cannelloni or Lasagne.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Heat Milk in a pan with an onion, cloves and bay leaves
- Melt butter and flour together in another pan
- Mix the milk into the flour butter mix
Milk or soya milk, flour, butter or good quality oil for the sauce. Cloves, pepper corns and bay leaves for seasoning.
- Put some milk in a pan
- Stud half an onion with half a dozen cloves and drop it in.
- Add pepper corns and bay leaves
- Now heat the milk for a few minutes but don’t let it boil
- Meanwhile melt some butter in another pan and add flour to make a rue. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Finally pour the milk into the rue slowly through a sieve, whisk as you pour.
- Serve with Pasta or use as a base for a Lasagne.
You can easily make a vegan option by substituting soya or rice milk and oil. This works nicely.
Wheat Free option
Substitute rye flour for a wheat free option. This gives a stronger, less creamy taste but is still pretty good.